Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Holes in the Hatch

By the way, I notice that gubernatorial candidate Mike Hatch has an ad out as well, complaining about a 50% increase in tuition over the past four years (I'd like to see the paperwork on that...). He wants to close a $300 million ‘tax loophole’ that allows companies to avoid paying taxes on overseas operations, dedicating the 'resulting income' to higher education.

My first reaction is “Gee. I don’t see him complaining about the GREATER than 50% increase in my property taxes over that same period!” And I can't even apply for a taxpayer-funded grant to pay for it. No offsetting reduction in my state income tax liability, either…

But one also can’t avoid the fact that such a proposal will make Minnesota a less desirable place for businesses to settle or expand and hire all those college graduates he wants to educate.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?