Wednesday, March 28, 2007

‘Privacy’ run amok.

There was a report on WCCO this evening about a number of children suspended from school for misbehavior on a St. Paul school bus. These children ranged from K through 6th grade. Their offenses included, but were not limited to, verbal obscenity, physical assault on other children, and general rowdiness. Suspensions ranged from 1 to 10 days, but the kicker is that parents were not allowed to view the video due to “privacy concerns.”

Pardon me, but that seems rather silly. What expectation of privacy exists among school children on a public school bus going to or from a public school? I don’t have any standing to take action in this situation, but if my child were the victim of one of these little ruffians I’d think I'd have a right to know what has been done to take control of the situation, and that means knowing what was done to the thug-in-training who was tormenting my kid.

If school districts want to be trusted, they have to be open about what’s going on and what’s being done.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?